CODE OF CONDUCT
Transparency International Anti-corruption Center* (hereinafter the Organization) developed this Code of Conduct to guide its members, employees and affiliated persons in their day-to-day work, interactions and decision-making, as well as ensure transparency and accountability of the Organization performance. Members, employees and affiliated persons are committed to uphold high standards of integrity and liability, act according to the core values and guiding principles of TI AC and further these standards, values and principles.
- The Organizationís mission is to promote effective public policy and good governance in order to prevent corruption and strengthen democracy, which will contribute to the continuous development and stability in the region.
- The Organizationís values are the transparency, accountability, integrity, courage, justice and democracy.
C. General Principles
- The Organization is transparent, honest, fair, impartial and accountable in itsrelationships with everyone it works with and within itself. It endeavors to perform its duties properly, faithfully and efficiently, respecting the rights of its members, employees and colleagues.
- The Organization is politically non-partisan and non-sectarian.
- The Organization is open to work co-operatively with all individuals and groups, representatives of government, civil society, business, media and international institutions committed to the promotion of good governance. It respects diversity of opinions, ideas and beliefs.
- The Organization accepts funding and donations only from sources whose aims and directions do not contradict to its mission and goals.
- The Organization ensures that its resources are utilized effectively and assets are used for no purpose other than for the advancement of the Organization goals.
- The Organization follows that its projects are responsive to public needs and directly or indirectly contribute to their overall development and well-being.
- The Organization demonstrates high level of accuracy and professionalism, based on comprehensive research and analysis.
- The Organization performs in accordance with the legislation of the Republic of Armenia and guiding documents of Transparency International.
D. Practical Guidelines
- The Organization has a written charter defining its mission, goals and organizational structure.
- The Organization makes sure that people who are elected to positions of power or authority demonstrate high moral and professional values.
- The Organization clearly defines everybody's role and responsibilities and properly communicates them.
- The Organization follows the participatory management process to enhance loyalty of the staff, quality of decision-making and integrity of the organization.
- The Organizationís members, employees and affiliated persons treat each other with respect and consideration.
- The Organizationís members, employees and affiliated persons communicate and consult with each other openly and collegially and in a manner that assists each of them to fulfill their duties and responsibilities faithfully and efficiently.
- The Organizationís members, employees and affiliated persons respect the privacy and private lives of each other when dealing with personal information.
3. Conflicts of Interest
- The Organization is committed to fair, objective, impartial and transparent recruitment, promotion and procurement procedures.
- The Organization makes appointments to all positions using a merit-based system and only after due consideration of all the received applications.
- The Organization does not hire persons with whom the Board or staff members have close personal relationship (including their spouse, life partner, parent, child, sibling or other close family member).
- Every person associated with the Organization avoids or manages potential conflicts of interest, and openly acknowledges potential or actual conflicts of interest.
- The Organizationís Board Members declare their financial and non-financial interests, which may potentially lead to or conceivably be perceived as a conflict of interest. The regularly updated Register of Interests of Board members is posted on the Organizationís website.
- The Organization members, employees and affiliated persons do not accept directly or indirectly any discount, gift, entertainment (invitations to dinner, cultural events, tourist visits, etc.) or favors that may influence the performance of their duties or judgment.
- The Organization does not accept funds from donors that either are granted under condition or might impair the independence of the Organization to pursue its mission.
4. Remunerated Work
- The Organizationís Board Members do not get remunerated by the Organization unless they perform certain work upon permission of the Board, based on respective employment contracts.
- The Organizationís staff members do not undertake paid work for other organizations unless with permission of their superior when work is related to corruption or is declared as early as practicable.
- Companies with which the Organizationís members or employees are affiliated do not perform remunerated work for the Organization unless there is a respective contract approved by the Board.
5. Private Behavior
- The Organizationís members, employees and affiliated persons do not get engaged in any activity or transaction or acquire any position or function, whether paid or unpaid, that is incompatible with or detracts from the proper performance of their duties and might bring the Organization as a whole into disrepute.
- The Organizationís members, employees and affiliated persons do not use the Organizationís business relationships to solicit or obtain favors or improper benefits in private life.
- The Organizationís members, employees and affiliated persons do not allow individual political affiliations and/or activities unduly influence or interfere with the political neutrality that is the hallmark of the TI movement.
6. Confidentiality, Transparency and Accountability
- The Organization treats information obtained within the framework of TI AC with confidentiality when its nature calls for it or when this is explicitly requested, and does not use any such information or materials to further a private interest. This obligation continues after the membersí/staff's separation from TI AC as well.
- The Organization is as open as possible about all decisions and actions it takes considering the special needs for confidentiality.
- The Organization is transparent and accountable in its relations with the government, partners, colleagues, citizens, donors and other interested parties.
- The Organization maintains a regular financial audit performed by an independent auditing firm or respective state authorities.
- The Organization fulfills all legal financial management and reporting in accordance with the requirements of the legislation of the Republic of Armenia.
- The Organization accurately and promptly submits project program and financial reports to donors in compliance with the terms of their grants.
7. Cooperation and Networking
- The Organization supports and promotes cooperation, networking and coalition building among civil society representatives to make their efforts more effective and avoid overlap of activities.
- The Organization fosters activities that facilitate information sharing and exchange of experiences among various stakeholders and encourage joint initiatives and projects.
- The Organization promotes and supports effective community participation by involving beneficiaries in project implementation.
E. Raising the Issue
- Any concerns about an interpretation, application or suspected violation of the Code shall be brought to the attention of the Organizationís Chair or the Board.
- Potential conflicts of interest shall be identified and declared by the person in potential conflict, or reported by others as soon as they become aware of such potential conflict of interest.
- No one shall be discriminated against or disciplined or reprimanded for reporting concerns related to violations of the TI AC Code of Conduct.
- Evaluation of a potential conflict of interest and respective actions to manage the conflict shall be made by the Organizationís Board, who shall be deemed responsible for undertaking measures to manage potential conflict of interest.
- Any conflicts within the organization shall be resolved in accordance with this Code of Conduct, Organizationís Charter and the legislation of the Republic of Armenia.
- Amendments to the Code shall be discussed with the staff of the TI AC and approved by the General Meeting.
Approved by the General Meeting of CRD/TI Armenia PO
July 25, 2006
* "Center for Regional Development/ Transparency International Armenia" PO was re-registered to "Transparency International Anti-corruption Center" PO in February 2008.